1) He a hasty meal before going on with his thesis.
2) The police carried out an investigation, but the missing woman was not yet found.
3、"Better late than never"is a that is very familiar to most English speakers.
4、Turning cultivated land back into forests or pasture is a fundamental way to stem soil ______and desertification in the long run.
5、Her taste runs also to arrangements of Chopin and Joplin, as well as to Japanese and Brazilian music, part of a(n) approach that is winning her fans around the world.
6、Some journalists often overstate the situation so that their news may create a great .
7) In general, matters which lie entirely within state borders are the concern of state governments.
8、His thoughts were from the painful topic by the sudden arrival of a close friend.
dissuade sb. from doing sth.企图劝阻某人做某事
distract from 分散或扰乱某人注意力
9) This book is about how these basic beliefs and values affect important of American life.
10) An increasing proportion of our population, unable to live without advanced medical will become progressively more reliant on expensive technology.
11) Furthermore, if I were to leave him, he would , for he cannot endure to be separated from me for more than one hour.
12) Their demand for a pay raise has not the slightest of being met.
13) This factory is planning to build a new_____line this year.
14) Mr. Bloom is not now, but he will be famous someday.
15) The coming of the railways in the 1830s our society and economic life.
【答案】1~5ACDAB 6~10 BDBAC 11~15 CABDA