Part Ⅱ Vocabulary ( 10% )
Directions: In this section all the statements are incomplete, beneath each of which are four words or phrases marked A, B, C and D. Choose the word or phrase that can best complete the statement and mark the letter of your choice on the ANSWER SHEET.
31. I am afraid that you' 11 have to ________ the deterioration of the condition.
A. account for B. call for C. look for D. make for
32. Twelve hours a week seemed a generous ________ of your time to the nursing home.
A. affliction B. alternative C. allocation D. alliance
33. Every product is ________ tested before being put into the market.
A. expensively B. exceptionally C. exhaustively D. exclusively
34. Having clean hands is one of the ________ rules when preparing food.
A. potent B. conditional C. inseparable D. cardinal
35. The educators should try hard to develop the ________ abilities of children.
A. cohesive B. cognitive C. collective D. comic
36. Mortgage ________ had risen in the last year because the number of low-income families was on the increase.
A. defects B. deficits C. defaults D. deceptions
37. The symptoms may be ________ by certain drugs.
A. exaggerated B. exacerbated C. exceeded D. exhibited
38. Her story was a complete ________ from start to finish, so nobody believed in her.
A. facility B. fascination C. fabrication D. faculty
39. The police investigating the traffic accident have not ruled out ________ .
A. salvage B. safeguard C. sabotage D. sacrifice
40. The government always ________ on the background of employees who are hired for sensitive military projects.
A. takes up B. cheeks up C. works out D. looks into
Directions: In this section, each of the following sentences has a word or phrase underlined, beneath which are four words or phrases. Choose the word or phrase which can best keep the meaning of the original sentence if it is substituted for the underlined part. Then mark your choice on the ANSWER SHEET.
41. The 19th century physiology was dominated by the study of the transformations of food energy in- to body mass and activity.
A. boosted B. governed C. clarified D. pioneered
42. Surely, it would be sensible to get a second opinion before taking any further action.
A. realistic B. sensitive C. reasonable D. sensational
43. The Chinese people hold their ancestors in great veneration.
A. recognition B. sincerity C. heritage D. honor
44. I worked to develop the requisite skill for a managerial.
A. perfect B. exquisite C. unique D. necessary
45. If exercise is a bodily maintenance activity and an index of physiological age, the lack of sufficient exercise may either cause or hasten aging.
A. instance B. indicator C. appearance D. option
46. The doctor advised Ken to avoid strenuous exercise.
A. arduous B. demanding C. potent D. continuous
47. The hospital should be held accountable for the quality of care it delivers.
A. practicable B. reliable C. flexible D. responsible
48. Greenpeace has been invited to appraise the environment costs of such an operation.
A. esteem B. appreciate C. evaluate D. approve
49. The company still hopes to find a buyer, but the future looks bleak.
A. chilly B. dismal C. promising D. fanatic
50. These were vital decisions that bore upon the happiness of everybody.
A. ensured B. mined C. achieved D. influenced