Directions: There are 30 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence, and then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. _____all his friends agree, he was warm-hearted, obliging and generous.
A. Now that B. Even if D. As C. Although
2. I always prefer starting early,_______leaving everything to the last minute.
A. other than B. fairly than C. rather than D. less than
3. He was the only one of the candidates who_able to carry out his campaign pledge.
A. have been B. has been C. were D.was
4. They have to learn from their mistakes, ______？
A. don't they B. oughtn't they C. haven't they D. mustn't they
5. Neither the chairman nor the members of the committee_his plan.
A. accepts B. accept C. is accepted D. are accepted
6. Great men often have great .
A. mistakes B. flaws C. misdeeds D. faults
7. In the bitter cold, the explorers managed to despite the shortage of food.
A. live B. endure C. survive D. remain
8. The of new scientific discoveries to industrial production methods usually makes job easier to do.
A. addition B. association C. application D. affection
9. Color-blind people often find it difficult to_____between blue and green.
A. separate B. compare C. distinguish D. contrast
10. He's been working too hard and he's .He needs a rest.
A. broken apart B. run over C. broken out D. run down
11. We believe that the younger generation will prove of our trust.
A.worth B. worth less C.worthy D. worthwhile
12. I need to buy furniture.
A. others B. another C. other D. some other
13. Only in spring______.
A. the flowers do bloom B. do the flowers bloom C. the flowers bloom D. bloom the flowers
14. There are five in the team.
A. seven-feet over tall players B. over seven-foot-tall players
C. over seven-feet-tall players D. seven-foot-tall over players
15. Contrary all advice, the woman went out during a storm and was struck dead by lightning.
A.at B. on C.with D.to
16. He must give us more time, we shall not be able to make a good job of it.
A. whether B. otherwise C. consequently D. therefore
17. Jim's score on the test is the highest; hard.
A. he should have studied B. he could have studied C. he must have studied D. he could study
18. The slave from morning till night.
A. made to work B. was made working C. was made worked D. was made to work
19. Li Bai wrote the famous poem when he made a tour to was a battlefield.
A.where B. that C. what D.which
20._ ,Jane is not prettier than her younger sister.
A. Pretty though is she B. Pretty as is she C. As she is pretty D. Pretty as she is
21.The office staff gathered to hear the president's speech.
A. is B.are C. be D. will
22. There is nothing serious_.I had jumped out of the window when the bomb exploded.
A. as well as I am concerned B. as I am concerned
C. as long as I am concerned D. as far as I am concerned
23. It is very of you not to play the piano while I was having a sleep.
A. conservative B. considerate C. considerable D. consistent
24. Two car accidents on the highway this morning.
A. Appeared B. were happened C. occurred D. emerged
25. Clara wanted to buy the coat, but it cost more than she could_______.
A. assume B. afford C. arouse D. avail
26. It was easy to find seats in the train in that there were so few .
A. spectators B. audiences C. tracks D. passengers
27. We'd better the whole thing over again before we make a decision.
A. tell B.say C. talk D.speak
28. We forgave his bad temper because we know that his son's illness had put him under great .
A. excitement B. crisis C. stress D. nervousness
29. Being both spoilt and lazy he everyone else for his lack of success.
A. accused B. charged C. criticized D. blamed
30. His strange behavior aroused the of the police.
A. doubt B. suspicion C. disbelief D. misbelief