托福阅读The Concept of Style题目
1. The word identify in Paragraph 1 is closest in meaning
2.The word which in Paragraph 2 refers to
A western music
B a melody-oriented art
C the underlying harmonies
D a particular musical system
3. In Paragraph 2, the author explains the differences in the treatment of musical elements in order
A identify various musical styles of different cultures
B explain that each culture has its own distinctive musical style
C argue that the most wonderful music in the world is from Western society
D describe the processes of differentiating between different musical styles
4. According to Paragraph 2, what makes music of different cultures bear similarities to one another?
A How the octave is divided and scales are produced.
B The way in which the harmonies of certain music are achieved.
C Whether there is the trend of being melody-oriented or not.
D The formal qualities of music instead of rhythmic procedures and textures.
5. The word disparate in Paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to_____.
6. Based on the information in Paragraph 1,what can be inferred about style?
A Style can be defined as the features that differentiate one artist from another.
B Style can be defined as the features of both an overall art form and an artist's personal art.
C Style can be defined as the features that display the overall characteristics of an art.
D Style can be defined as the features that show the overall characteristics of an artist.
7. The word imperceptible in Paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to
A discernable B unprotected
C unidentifiable D unsuccessful
8. All of the following are mentioned in Paragraph 2 as contributing to the commonness of all the music varieties EXCEPT .
A the repetition approach
B the necessity to vary from one to another
C the contrast between the neighboring two
D the harmony employed
9. In Paragraph 4, why does the author mention the outline?
A The outline is employed to group musicians into right categories.
B The outline is a hypothesis formed by the researchers in this field
C The outline helps to distinguish important musicians from unimportant musicians of each era.
D This outline helps to unify the musicians of the same period regarding their style
10. Which of the sentences below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in the passage?
Incorrect choices change the meaning in Important ways or leave out essential information.
A The artistic, political, economic, religious,and philosophical factors of a period contribute to the formation of the style of a period as a whole.
B The artistic, political, economic, religious,and phllosophical forces of a period result in the variety of the style of different artists of a period.
C Each period has a common style of all the artists, which is established by how the artists respond to the artistic, political, economic, religious, and philosophical forces that form their environment.
D Every period has a style of its own,which has something to do with its artistic, political, economic, religious,and philosophical forces.
11. Look at the four squares [▇]that indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage.
Yet the orientation of this fuzzy growing trend presents no difficulties for us to identify the major characteristics of each era.
Where would the sentence best fit?
12. Directions: Complete the table by matching the phrases below. Select the appropriate phrases from the answer choices and match them to the type of true or false to which they relate, two of the answer choices will NOT be used. This question is worth 4 points.
A Just as style is a unique feature of different forms, musical style is a unique language as well.
B We all know that folk music is quite different from symphonic music.
C Literary styles are very different from musical styles.
D The varying elements of music production are the key to differentiating music styles.
E Musicians like to show their personal style by choosing special musical elements.
F Style is always a product of history and society as a whole.
G Harmony is universal in all kinds of musical styles.
H We can also distinguish the style of politicians in the West from that of politicians in the East.