Directions: In this section all the sentences are incomplete. Four words or pareses, marked A, B, C and D, are given beneath each of them. You are to choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence. Then, mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET.
31. The doctor gave him an injection in order to _______ the pain.
A. alleviate B. aggregate C. abolish D. allocate
32. His broken arm healed will, but she died of the pneumonia which followed as a _______.
A. complement B. compliment C. complexion D. complication
33. Unfortunately, our vacation plans _____ on account of transport strikes.
A. fell back B. fell through C. fell upon D. fell to
34. The ______ climate of Hawaii attracts visitors form all over the world every year.
A. genial B. frigid C. genuine D. foul
35. This is the ______ in which the organism lives most effectively.
A. optimum B. option C. ordeal D. orbit
36. The doctor suggests that a good holiday in the country should ____ him nicely after his operation.
A. set…off B. set …up C. set…off D. set…aside
37. His behavior was so ______ that even the merciful people could not forgive him.
A. unique B. unconventional C. brutal D. brilliant
38. ______ to your present job until you can get a better one.
A. Hang about B. Hang back C. Hang behind D. Hang on
39. Suffering from his leg illness, Tom is very _______ nowadays.
A. emaciated B. eligible C. elastic D. exceptional
40. He saved some money for artistic _______ such as fine paintings.
A. donations B. profits C. luxuries D. lures
33.【B】fall back后退,退却;fall through失败,成为泡影;fall upon开始行动,进攻;fall to开始。本句句意“不幸的是,我们的假期计划终因运输业罢工而成为泡影。”所以选B。
36.【B】set out 出发:set up建立,设立,扶持;setoff出发;setaside均出,留出。
38.【D】hang about 闲逃;hang back却步,犹豫;hang behind 落后:hang on坚持。