Directions: There are 15 blanks in the following passage. For each blank, there are four choices. Choose the best answer and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Animals and insects can communicate with others of 51 kind through signals or sounds. Bees,for example, use signals to communicate information to other bees. When a bee 52 food, it goes to-wards its hive. It " 53 " in the air to tell the other bees about its discovery. The 54 of the dance give information about the place where the food is, and about the distance between that place to the hive.Some animals make 55 to communicate their feelings, or to pass information to each other. For example, a dog barks when it is angry, or excited. Birds make different kinds of sounds to signal, for ex-ample, danger or 56 . 57 , however, have something that no animal has. Human beings have the ability to express their action, feelings and ideas through 58 . They can also write words down,in order to communicate past events and to 59 messages to people far away.
Even though some birds have learned to repeat words, they do not understand the 60 of the words, and therefore they cannot use them to communicate ideas.
How did man first learn to 61 ? Perhaps we shall never know. However, we do know 62 as man's knowledge increased he 63 use more sounds in order to express a greater number of feelings and ideas. It became necessary for him to communicate about a greater number of things. He began to make 64 different sounds, and gradually he put these sounds together to form first words then groups of words, and then 65 . In different parts of the world, people developed their own systems of sounds and words. Today we call these systems "languages".
51. A. different B. the different C. same D. the same
52. A. has found B. had found C. has looked D. finds
53. A. walks B. steps C. dances D. shouts
54. A. movements B. dress C. meaning D. language
55. A. sounds B. voice C. sound D. noise
56. A. friend B. friendship C. friends D. friendly
57. A. Human beings B. People C. Persons D. Beasts
58. A. words B. worms C. world D. work
59. A. set B.sad C.send D.sent
60.A.spelling B. meaning C. function D. part of speech
61.A.tell B.talk C. say D.speak
62.A.that B. which C.when D.where
63. A, needs B. needs to C. needed to D. needed
64. A. less and less B. much and much C. more and more D. little and little
65. A. paragraphs B. languages C. letters D. sentences