Directions: There are 15 blanks in the following passage. For each blank, there are four choices. Choose the best answer and mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
The Voice of America began during the World War II. When Germany was broadcasting a radio program to get international 51 , American officials believed they should 52 the German broadcast with words that they thought were the facts of world events. The first VOA news report began with words in 53 . "The news may be good or bad, but we shall tell you the truth."Within a week,other VOA 54 were broadcasting in Italian, French and English.
After the World War II ended in 1945, some Americans felt VOA's 55 had to be changed,considering the Soviet Union became enemy of America. They wanted to 56 Soviet listeners. Then VOA began broadcasting in Russian.
In the early years VOA began adding something new to its broadcast that was 57 "Music USA". Another new idea came along in 1959. VOA knew that many listeners did not know 58 English to completely understand its 59 English broadcast. So VOA 60 a simpler kind of English, 61 uses about 1,500 words and is spoken slowly of course, it is special English.
In the 62 of most VOA listeners, the most important program is the news report. News from around the world 63 into the VOA news rooms in Washington 24 hours a day. It comes from VOA reporters in major cities and also from other 64 like BBC. VOA writers and editors use these materials to 65 news reports, which are being broadcast in 43 languages.
51. A. business B. culture C. support D. information
52. A. reply B. answer C. join D. interrupt
53. A. French B. Chinese C. English D. German
54. A. stations B. news C. announcers D. officials
55. A. home B. position C. purpose D. results
56. A. reach B. satisfy C. attack D. support
57. A. known B. reported C. called D. printed
58. A. poor B. excellent C. standard D. enough
59. A. normal B. fast C. good D. exact
60. A. invented B. discovered C. taught D. stopped
61. A. it B.who C. which D. that
62. A. pleasure B. course C. opinion D. advice
63. A. flies B. sends C. delivers D. pasts
64. A. broadcasts B. forms C. newspapers D. countries
65. A. broadcast B. announce C. translate D. prepare