Part I Dialogue Completion (15 points)
Directions: There are 15 short incomplete dialogues in this part, each followed by 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one to complete the dialogue and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
1. Jack: Can I help with your luggage?
A. No, you’d better not. Thank you anyway.
B. No, not necessary. Thank you anyway.
C. No, thanks. I can manage it.
D. No, please. I can do.
2. Customer: ____________
Receptionist: Certainly, do you have a reservation?
Customer: Yes, the name is Collins, Mr. and Mrs. Collins.
A. I’d like to rest here, please.
B. I’d like to check in, please.
C. I’d like to rent a room, please.
D. I’d like to stay in, please.
3. David: We’ve got some tickets for an opera tonight. Would you like to join us?
Jill: __________. I don’t quite understand opera.
A. I am afraid not. B. No, I can’t actually.
C. I really want to go. D. No, I must refuse it.
4. Emily: Your little boy has done a good job at school.
A. Yes, I think so. B. No, he doesn’t deserve it.
C. No, you are so polite. D. Yes, I am proud of him.
5. Peter: __________?
Benjamin: Sorry! Is it disturbing you?
A. Stop playing your music!
B. Turn off your terrible radio!
C. Do you think you could keep the noise down a bit?
D. Do you ever care about other people’s feelings?
6. Martin: Will you please pass me the saltshaker, Robert?
A. Just take it. B. There you go.
C. Here give you. D. Oh, sure.
7. Alice: Hurry up! We don’t have much time left.
Ann: _________. We still have 15 minutes.
A. That’s fine. B. You are right.
C. Take it easy. D. Take your time.
8. Daniel: I’m afraid I’ve spilt some ink over your table cloth. I feel
terribly sorry for that.
Mrs. Gamble: _________
A. You should feel better.
B. Oh, it doesn’t matter.
C. I don’t want to hear it.
D. Oh, I don’t like that table cloth.
9. George: Hello, could I speak to Mr. Simpson, please?
Lisa: __________. Can I take a message?
A. Speaking, please.
B. Who are you, please?
C. I’m sorry he has run away.
D. I’m sorry he is not available.
10. Student A: May I borrow your computer this afternoon?
Student B: I’m sorry, but I have to finish my term paper with it.
Student A: _________
A. Never think of it. B. Very nice, thanks.
C. Thank you all the same. D. I don’t care.
11. Virginia: Have you heard about Eva? She is going to get married
A. Congratulations! B. Are you kidding?
C. Good luck! D. Is it real?
Patient: I’ve caught a bad cold and a sour throat.
A. What seems to be the problem?
B. What has happened to you?
C. Do you feel better now?
D. Do you have something to say?
13. Salesman: Good morning, I wonder if you could spare a few
minutes of your time.
Mrs. Davis: ______ . Are you selling something?
A. I am not free now. B. I don’t know if I can.
C. You are welcome. D. You don’t have to wonder.
14. Jim: I think Edward needs to go on a diet. He’s putting on so
Lucas: ________ I think he looks OK.
A. I agree with you. B. You are right.
C. Do you think so? D. How do I know?
15.Rosemary: We’ve made an appointment with the students at 7 in the morning. Would you come on time?
Nicholas: I’m sorry _________, it is too early.
A. I don’t want it. B. I don’t get it.
C. I can’t handle it. D. I can’t make it.
Part II Reading Comprehension (40 points)
Directions: There are 4 passages in this part. Each of the passages is followed by 5 questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
How much do you know about nutrition? If your knowledge is similar to that of food shoppers who answered three surveys for the U. S. Food and Drug Administration, then you probably share some wide-spread misinformation about nutrition. Check your answers to the following statements. Is it true or false?
Statement 1: Fresh vegetables cooked at home are always more nutritious than canned or frozen vegetables.False. The nutritional difference depends more on how vegetables are handled or prepared than in whether they are bought fresh or packaged. Overcooking, for example, destroys many nutrients. Vegetables cooked in too much water can lose a significant amount of vitamins.
Statement 2: When dieting, avoid starchy(淀粉类) foods, such as bread or potatoes. False. If you cut out starchy foods, such as peas, potatoes, bread, and rice, you cut out very good sources of several B vitamins, Vitamin C, and other nutrients. Moreover, ounce for ounce, bread and potatoes have fewer calories than sirloin steak and roast beef.
Statement 3: Taking extra vitamins beyond the recommended daily allowances won’t give you more energy. True. It’s widely believed that extra vitamins provide more energy. But taking more than the body needs doesn't make it function better, just as overfilling your gas tank doesn’t make your car run faster.
If you answered these questions correctly, you can for the time being consider yourself well informed about food and nutrition by today’s standards. But remember that nutrition is a complex and growing science and that today’s beliefs may be changed as new information becomes available.
16. The first paragraph implies that many people __________.
A. are well informed about nutrition
B. don’t care about nutrition
C. have much knowledge of nutrition
D. have incorrect ideas about nutrition
17. According to paragraph 2, which is NOT true about nutrition?
A. Overcooking destroys many nutrients.
B. It makes no difference how you prepare vegetables.
C. Both fresh and packaged vegetables are nutritious.
D. Vitamins in vegetable could be lost during cooking.
18. Which is a correct attitude towards starchy food?
A. Starchy foods are unnecessary in a balanced diet.
B. Bread and steak have the same amount of calories per ounce.
C. Valuable nutrients could be found in starchy foods.
D. Starchy foods include only peas, potatoes, bread and rice.
19. The description of “overfilling your gas tank” shows why __________.
A. one should take as much vitamins as possible
B. more than enough vitamins is unnecessary
C. vitamins cost as much as gas
D. doctors recommend allowance of vitamins
20. A good title for this article would be__________.
A. Tips of Losing Weight Effectively
B. Test Your Nutrition IQ
C. Nutrition: A Complex Branch of Science
D. Misleading Nutrition Concepts
Most women in Ghana--the educated and illiterate, the urban and rural, the young and old--work to earn an income in addition to maintaining their roles as housewives and mothers. Their reputation for economic independence, self-reliance, and hard work is well known and well deserved.
Most of Ghana’s working women are farmers and traders. Only one woman in five, or even fewer, can be classified as simply housewives. Even these women often earn money by sewing or by baking and cooking things to sell. They also maintain vegetable gardens and chicken farms. Indeed, the woman who depends entirely upon her husband for support is looked upon with disfavor.
Traditionally the tasks of motherhood have been shared. Mothers and sisters, grandmothers and nieces all helped to raise the children and to carry out daily tasks. As the family grew, older brothers and sisters also helped to care for the younger ones and helped in the home. Now with more children going to school, with more people moving away from their traditional homes, not only must the mother continue her income-producing activities, but she must take on all the heavy, time-consuming housework.
Ghana today is looking for new ways to meet the needs of women and their families, such as providing more day care centers, so women can continue to play their multiple roles in the home and in the economy.
21. What is the role of most women in Ghana?
A. Handling various housework at home.
B. Taking care of children indoors.
C. Farming and trading out of house.
D. Working as well as maintaining families.
22. “self-reliance” could be explained as “__________”.
A. making great wealth
B. depending on oneself
C. caring for one’s own
D. being a reliable person
23. What kind of women do people in Ghana prefer?
A. Beautiful and charming.
B. Skillful at sewing or baking.
C. Depending totally on husbands.
D. Working hard to earn incomes.
24. Paragraph 3 describes__________.
A. how traditional extended families operate
B. why women in Ghana have more burdens now
C. how changes in life help the working women
D. the new life style of Ghana’s people
25. The author of this article probably agrees that women in
A. stay at home and focus on family life
B. become as active as men in business
C. try to maintain their original roles
D. make a choice and stick to one role
The blues was born on the Mississippi River Delta in the early 1900s. After the Civil War, the slaves were free but life was still not easy. They had to find new work. In the South, work camps were formed. Black people from these camps worked on farms and on building up the Mississippi River banks. During the week the people worked long and hard. They often lived alone, without their families, far from home. On the weekends, the workers got together at picnics or drinking places. Travelling black musicians with guitars entertained them. The musicians sang songs about the difficult life of the workers. These songs were called the blues.
If you have the blues it means you feel very sad. You can have the blues because you have no money, no job, no lover, or no home. But blue songs were not always sad. Some of them were happy and many of them were funny.
Sometimes the blues singers had song contests. Each singer sang new words or a new style of the blues song. They made up the music as they played. In this way they created new music. This is called improvisation. Later, improvisation became a very important part of jazz music.
Blues began in the country in the South. As blacks moved into the big cities to work, the blues went with them. There, they sang about life in the cities. W. C. Handy, a black band leader from Memphis made the blues popular all over America. In 1914 he wrote the most famous blues song of all, “The St. Louis Blues”.
26. After the Civil War, the Black people _________.
A. were mostly slaves
B. still led a hard life
C. enjoyed their new life with families
D. worked on their own farms
27. At the very beginning, the blues were _________.
A. not performed on formal occasions
B. traditional songs of the Black people
C. about the life of travelling musicians
D. very popular throughout the nation
28. What kind of emotion does the blues express?
D. All of the above
29. How did “improvisation” come into being?
A. The blues singers gathered to have contests.
B. New words were added into old songs.
C. New styles were played with guitars.
D. The blues singers created music while playing.
30. Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage?
A. The blues were born in the country in the South.
B. The blues soon disappeared in big cities.
C. W. C. Handy is the first blues singer in US.
D. The most well-known blues song is “The St. Louis Blues”.
No matter who you are or where you come from, one thing is certain：you are acquainted with the mosquito(蚊子)--although you probably wish you weren’t. Mosquitoes are everywhere. They can be found all over the world, and they come in more than 2,500 species. Somewhere, at some time, you have surely met at least one.
No one loves the mosquito. But unfortunately the mosquito may decide that she loves you. Yes, She. Only the female mosquito bites. It’s not because she’s unfriendly: she needs blood to reproduce. Female mosquito is quite selective, and she chooses her victims carefully. First, she uses sensors to find her victim. With these sensors, she tests your body moisture, body warmth, and chemical substances in your sweat. If she likes what she finds, she bites. But if you don’t appeal to her, she’ll reject you for someone more appetizing. The next time a mosquito bites you, just remember that you were chosen. You’re special.
If the mosquito likes you, she settles onto your flesh very gently, and she breaks your skin with herproboscis tip. It’s a kind of mouth and it sticks out just below the mosquito’s eyes. She stabs the proboscis tip into your skin at once, and if she hits a blood vessel, she’ll get a full dinner in about a minute. After that, the mosquito is tired. Heavy with your blood, she picks a spot---on a leave or a stone---to lay her eggs. Just one drop of blood will produce hundreds of eggs.
31. By the sentence “you are acquainted with the mosquito--although you probably wish you weren’t”, the author means that people _________.
A. don’t like mosquito but it is always there
B. know mosquito and wish them well
C. wish all the mosquito disappeared
D. want to be friendly to mosquito but fail at last
32. Why is it only female mosquito that bites?
A. She is more unfriendly than male.
B. She is greater in number.
C. Blood is her favorite food.
D. Blood enables her to lay eggs.
33. To select whom to bite, the mosquito’s sensors may NOT test_________.
A. the temperature of the body
B. the color of the skin
C. the chemical elements in sweat
D. the wetness of the body
34. According to the last paragraph, the function of proboscis tip is to _______.
A. find where to bite
B. to stick into the flesh and suck blood
C. to remove the skin and collect blood
D. decide whom to reject
35. The main idea of the passage could be _______.
A. why and how mosquito bites people
B. why people dislike mosquito
C. what kind of mosquito bites people
D. how to identify female mosquito
Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
36. We had decided to sell our house, but after a while we began to have second ________.
A. ideas B. thoughts
C. minds D. plans
37. _________ are that stock price will go up in the coming months.
A. Chances B. Opportunities
C. Possibilities D. Conditions
38. Books in the library are arranged by different__________.
A. classes B. categories
C. degrees D. ranks
39. The Bering Strait Bridge will be one of the most challenging engineering projects ever __________.
A. undertaken B. underestimated
C. undergone D. underneath
40. Our customers would ________ it very much if the salesperson could give them clear directions to operate the machine.
A. appear B. apply
C. appreciate D. anticipate
41. The economy of the country was_____ with foreign investment.
A. boomed B. blossomed
C. raised D. increased
42. The girl ________ a large amount of money from her parents.
A. achieved B. inherited
C. saved D. collected
43. The HR manager will be ________ for not fulfilling his duty.
A. cancelled B. recalled
C. corrected D. replaced
44. The impact of the Greenhouse Effect has long been ________ and special attention is called upon to examine this issue.
A. overcome B. overlooked
C. overcharged D. overrated
45. No matter what happens, please remember we are the true friends whom you could always________ .
A. turn up B. turn to
C. turn in D. turn off
46. Our series of product _____ from children’s toys to sports equipments.
A. differ B. separate
C. range D. include
47. The audience were so _____ at the colorful scene of the drama that no one noticed the passage of time.
A. fascinated B .fancied
C. frightened D. forseen
48. Please note down this telephone number ________you meet with any emergencies.
A. for fear that B. so that
C. unless D. in case that
49. The houses in this community, most which are beautifully ________, have attracted many buyers.
A. decorated B. demanded
C. delivered D. determined
50. It’s impossible for anyone to be ________by such an obvious lie.
A. taken over B. taken in
C. taken down D. taken away
51. Rosemary is ________ fatter than she was when I first met her.
A. consistently B. constantly
C. considerably D. considerately
52. It may not be a good habit to look up the dictionary whenever you ________a difficult word while reading.
A. come at B. come across
C. come along D. come up
53. I have tried __________ to make the General Manger change his mind.
A. in spite B. in hope
C. in way D. in vain
54. The noise of the parade was very disturbing, which made it almost impossible for us to ________ on what the speaker was saying.
A. concentrate B. be concerned
C. confirm D. be dependent
55. The students are very _______ to Miss Lewis for her kindness and hard work.
A. graceful B. grateful
C. dependent D. confident
56. It was not until August _____ the two sides finally reached an agreement.
A. when B. that
C. before D. while
57. Don’t worry. She______ it by the time you are ready.
A. will be finishing B. will have been finishing
C. would finish D. will have finished
58. ________will be known tomorrow.
A. Whether the flower turns red
B. If the flower turns red
C. When does the flower turn red
D. How does the flower turn red
59. At midnight, she finally finished the report, ______.
A. tiring and wear out B. tiring and worn out
C. tired and worn out D. tiring and wearing out
60. Rare animals are still being hunted, ______ there is severe punishment for it.
A. as if B. even though
C. even as D. as long as
61. Before entering the classroom, Professor Lucas heard_________.
A. the students at talk B. some students talked
C. some students talking D. the students to talk
62. The assignment for today is to write a summary _______the major subjects in this chapter are to be covered.
A. in that B. that
C. which D. in which
63. We________ on it for several hours, but we have not yet found any satisfactory solution.
A. are working B. have been working
C. have been worked D. work
64. I would have invited Doctor Fox to make a speech, but I _________him very well.
A. hadn’t known B. don’t know
C. wouldn’t know D. wasn’t knowing
65. _________ objects in the distance is made possible with the help of a telescope.
A. Observation B. Observatory
C. Observed D. Observing
66. _______, the worse I seem to feel.
A. More medicine taken B.When I take more medicine
C. The more medicine I take D.Taking more of the medicine
67. They wanted to find out the reason _________ adolescent crimes are increasing.
A. because B. of
C. why D. to
68. I ________reading newspapers during breakfast.
A. am in the habit of B. make a rule of
C. ought to D. used to be
69. The square is _____ the one in my hometown.
A. three times big of B. as big three times as
C. three times as big as D. bigger three times than
70. The Asian Games meet ________, sometimes with more than 40 nations taking part.
A. once a four years B. four years a time
C. for four years D. every four years
71. What _________ next will be discussed at the meeting in the afternoon.
A. can we do B. to be done
C. shall we do D. to doing
72. Many ancient tombs have been stolen by thieves and the treasures inside were lost. _________this is a matter of regret.
A. No wonder B. No way
C. No problem D. No doubt
73. The factory ______ two years ago was equipped with the most advanced machinery.
A. where I worked there B. which I worked
C. in which I worked D. where I worked in
74. No sooner ______ than she realized that it was wise to keep silent.
A. had the words spoken B. the words had spoken
C. the words had been spoken D. had the words been spoken
75. But for the storm, we _____ a great harvest last year.
A. would have B. would have had
C. had had D. should have
Part IV Cloze Test (10 points)
Directions: There are 10 blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
The ups and downs of life may seem to have no predictable plan. But scientists now know there are verydefinite life patterns that almost all people 76 . Today，when we live 20 years longer than our great-grandparents，and when women mysteriously 77 men by seven years，it is clearer than ever that the“game of life”is really a game of 78 . As we age, we trade strength for ingenuity，speed for thoroughness，passion for reason. These 79 may not always seem fair，but at every age，there are some 80 . So it is reassuring to note that 81 you've passed some of your“prime.”you still have other prime years to experience 82 . Certain important primes seem to 83 later in life. Then which are the best years of life? When asked this question, people may 84 with various answers. It seems that different periods of life 85 to different kinds of achievement.
76. A. know B. share C. resist D. like
77. A. outnumber B. outcome C. outlive D. outbreak
78. A. trade-offs B. trade-ins C. years D. age
79. A. discussions B. changes C. businesses D. exchanges
80. A. problems B. advantages C. difficulties D. profits
81. A. no matter B. as soon as C. even if D. because of
82. A. in the past B. in the future C. just then D. just now
83. A. peak B. climb C. stay D. result
84. A. come out B. come in C. come at D. come up
85. A. are likely B. are fixed C. are related D. pay attention
Part V Writing (15 points)
Directions: You are to write in 100-120 words on the topic “My View on Fast Food”. You should base your composition on the outline given in Chinese below:
Part I Dialogue Completion (15 points)
1. C 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. C 6. D 7. C 8. B 9. D 10. C
11. B 12. A 13. B 14. C 15. D
Part II Reading Comprehension (40 points)
16. D 17. B 18. C 19. B 20. B 21.D 22. B 23. D 24. B 25. C
26. B 27. A 28. D 29. D 30. B 31. A 32. D 33. B 34. B 35. A
Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
36. B 37. A 38. B 39. A 40. C 41. A 42. B 43. D 44. B 45. B
46. C 47. A 48. D 49. A 50. B 51. C 52. C 53. D 54. A 55. B
56. B 57. D 58. A 59. C 60. B 61. C 62. D 63. B 64. B 65. D
66. C 67. C 68. A 69. C 70. D 71. B 72. D 73. C 74. D 75. B
Part IV Cloze Test (10 points)
76. B 77. C 78. A 79. D 80. B 81. C 82. B 83. A 84. D 85. C
Part V Writing (15 points)
Fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s and KFC provide food served within a few minutes. Therefore, many people, especially those who are busy with their work, would choose fast food in order to save time.
But we should also be aware that some kinds of fast food are not so healthy. They are usually fried or overcooked, and therefore increase the risk people of getting overweight. It may even cause some diseases.
In my opinion, when we are really running out of time, fast food is a good choice to avoid hunger and make us return to work with some energy. At the same time, eating fast food should not become a long-term habit so health problems will not arise. (123 words)