Women find a masculine face-with a large jaw and a prominent brow-more attractive when they are most likely to attractive, according to a study published in the June 24 NATURE. Before, during, and use after menstruation, however, they seem to be drawn to less angular, more "feminine" male faces, the researchers report.
"Other studies of female preference, mainly for odors, show changes across the menstrual cycle, " says lead author Ian Penton-Voak of the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. "We thought it would be interesting to look at visual preferences and see if they changed also". The researchers showed 39 Japanese women composite male faces that emphasized masculine or feminine facial features to differing degrees. The women preferred images with more masculine features when they were in the fertile phase of their menses but favored more feminine features during their less fertile phase.
The type of face women find attractive also seems to depend on the kind of relationship they wish to pursue, according to another experiment.
The cyclic preference for muscular faces was evident among 23 British women asked to choose the most attractive face for a short-term relationship, Penton-Voak says. The 26 women asked to choose an attractive face for a long-term relationship, however, preferred the more feminine features throughout their menstrual cycle.
Another 22 women who were using oral contraceptives did not show monthly changes in the faces they preferred even for short-term relationships, indicating that hormones might play a role in determining attractiveness, Penton-Voak says.
Men whose faces have some feminine softness are perceived as "kinder" men who may make better husbands and partners, he adds, while macho features may be associated with higher testosterone(睾丸素)levels and good genes. He cautions, however, that research hasn't yet shown a link between a woman' s preferences in such tests and her actual behavior.
71. The researchers made a study on ________ .
A. women' s menstrual cycle B. men' s preferred female images
C. women' s visual preferences of men D. men' s masculine and feminine features
72. Women are drawn to a masculine face, according to the researchers, when they ________ .
A. grow to be more feminine B. are on oral contraceptives
C. are ready for conception D. are on menstruation
73. It was found in Britain that women' s preferred male images were influenced by ________ .
A. their family planning B. the years of marriage they had
C. the length of their menstrual cycle D. the term or relationship they seek
74. Just because the studies of female preferences show changes across the menstrual cycle, as Penton-Voak implies, does not mean that
A. visual preferences do exist B. a woman acts this way is reality
C. a man will buy into the phenomenon D. men and women prefer the same image
75. Which of the following can be the best title for the passage?
A. Does a woman judge from a man' s appearance?
B. Is there such a thing as beauty in the world?
C. Are women more emotional than men?
D. Is beauty more than meets the eye?
71. C 调查者主要探讨女性喜欢什么样的男性面貌，即女性对男性的视觉偏爱。
72. C 第三段提到The women preferred images with more masculine features when they were in the fertile phase of their menses. 当女性在可孕期时他们钟爱更具有男性特征的脸貌。fertile phase可孕期。menses月经期。conception受精。
73. D 第四段提到女性对男性相貌的选择与她们寻求的kind of relationship有关系，下一段提到这在对英国女性的调查中很明显：选择短期恋爱伙伴时她们更喜欢有男性特征的脸貌；在选择长期恋爱伙伴时则更喜欢有女性面貌特征的男性。
74. B 文章最后一句提到He cautions，however，that research hasn't yet shown a link between a woman's preferences in such tests and her actual behavior. 调查并没有显示女性在这种实验中的选择倾向与她们的实际行为有联系，即这并不意味着女性在现实生活中会这样做。
75. A 本文主讲女性对男性面貌的选择以及其影响因素。