Most people have no idea of the hard work and worry that gosintosthe collecting of those fascinating birds and animals that they pay to see in the zoo.
One of the questions that is always asked of me is __1__ I became an animal collector in the first __2__.The answer is that I have always been interested in animals and zoos. According to my parents, the first word I was able to say with any __3__ was not the conventional “mamma” or “daddy”,__4__ the word “zoo”, which I would __5__over and over again with a shrill __6__ until someone, insgroupsto __7__ me up, would take me to the zoo. When I __8__ a little older, we lived in Greece and I had a great __9__ of pets, ranging from owls to seahorses, and I spent all my spare time __10__ the countryside in search of fresh specimens to __11__ to my collection of pets.__12__ on I went for a year to the City Zoo, as a student __13__ , to get experience of the large animals, such as lions, bears, bison and ostriches,__14__ were not easy to keep at home.
When I left, I __15__ had enough money of my own to be able to __16__ my first trip and I have been going __17__ ever since then.
Though a collector’s job is not an easy one and is full of __18__ ,it is certainly a job which will appeal
__19__ all those who love animals and __20__ .
1. A.）how B. ）where C. ）when D. ） whether
2. A. ）region B. ）field C. ）place D. ）case
3. A. ）clarity B. ）emotion C. ）sentiment D. ）affection
4. A. ）except B. ）but C. ）except for D. ）but for
5. A. ）recite B. ）recognize C. ）read D. ）repeat
6. A. ）volume B. ）noise C. ）voice D. ）pitch
7. A. ）close B. ）shut C. ）stop D. ）comfort
8. A. ）grew B. ）was growing C. ）grow D. ）grown
9. A. ）many B. ）amount C. ）number D. ）supply
10. A. living B. cultivating C. reclaiming D. exploring
11. A. increase B. include C. add D. enrich
12. A. later B. further C. then D. subsequently
13. A. attendant B. keeper C. member D. aide
14. A. who B. they C. of which D. which
15. A. luckily B. gladly C. nearly D. successfully
16. A. pay B. provide C. allow D. finance
17. A. normally B. regularly C. usually D. often
18. A. expectations B. sorrows C. excitement D. disappointments
19. A. for B. with C. to D. from
20. A. excursion B. travel C. journey D. Trip
2.【答案】C【解析】in the first place 是固定短语,意思是“首先”。此句意思是：别人经常问到的问题之一，是当初我是如何爱上动物的。
3.【答案】A【解析】这句话的意思是：作者在呀呀学语之时,最早发清楚的音是“zoo”(动物园),而不是“妈妈”, “爸爸”,因此,应选clarity“清晰”。填入其他选项emotion (感情),sentiment(多愁善感),affection(友爱)不合逻辑。
4.【答案】B【解析】but 在此处连接另一个句子(it was the word“zoo”,“it was”被省略)，表示转折，意为“而是”， Except, except for, but for 的用法接近，表示“除了……”。
We go there every day except Sunday.
He answered all the questions except for the last one.
For a year the dam remained complete but for the generators.
5.【答案】D【解析】根据后面的over and over again,应选“repeat”
6.【答案】C【解析】小孩想去动物园,便不停地发出尖叫声,故选“voice”。A shrill voice 与scream 的意思接近。volume(音量)；noise(噪音)；pitch(音调)均不合要求。
7.【答案】B【解析】shut sb.up 是指让某人住口，为了让孩子停止尖叫，只好带他去动物园。
9.【答案】C【解析】a great many 后直接跟可数名词的复数形式；a great / large amount of 后跟不可数名词；只有a great/large number of 后可以跟可数名词的复数形式。
I read a great many English books.
A large amount of money is spent on tobacco every year.
A great number of civilians were murdered in cold blood.
10.【答案】D【解析】living 后必须接介词in，意为“居住”；cultivating 耕种；reclaiming 开垦；只有exploring 有探察的意思。
11.【答案】C【解析】add to 相当于increase，增加。其余选项后面都不接to。
12.【答案】A【解析】later on 为固定短语，“后来”。
13.【答案】D【解析】attendant 仆人；keeper 可理解为“饲养员”，但是a student keeper 容易被误解为“收留学生的人”；aide 有“助手”之义。作者一边上学，一边在动物园里打工，只能当助手。
16.【答案】D【解析】finance my first trip 意为“支付我的旅行费用”；pay 后应接介词for；其他选项的意思相差甚远。
18.【答案】D【解析】此句是由though 引导的让步状语从句，应与主句意思相对立。选项中，sorrows 和disappointments与主句的appeal to 相对立，但sorrows 的分量太重。
19.【答案】C【解析】appeal to 为成语，意思是“吸引”。
20.【答案】B【解析】excursion 短途旅行；journey(从一地到另一地的)长距离，具体的旅途；travel 旅行，旅游，海外旅行；trip 旅行，远足。