Directions: In this section there is a passage with ten numbered blanks, For each blank, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D listed below the passage. Choose the best answer and mark the letter of your choice on the ANSWER SHEET.
Experts say about 1% of young women in the United States are almost starving themselves today. They are suffering from a sickness called anorexia.
These young women have an abnormal fear of getting fat. They 51 starve themselves so they weigh at least 15% less than their normal weight.
The National Institute of Mental Health says one 52 ten cases of anorexia leads to serious medical problems. These patients can die from heart failure or the disease can lead young women to 53 themselves. For example, former gymnast Christy Henrich died at age 22. She weighed only 61 pounds.
A person with anorexia first develop joint and muscle problems. There is a lack of iron in the blood. 54 the sickness progresses, a young woman's breathing, heartbeat, and blood pressure rates slow down. The important substance calcium is 55 from the bones, sometimes causing bones to break. Sometimes the brain gets smaller, causing changes in 56 a person thinks and acts. Scientists say many patients have further mental and emotional problems. They have 57 . opinions about themselves. They feel helpless. Their attempts to become extremely thin may 58 efforts to take control of their lives. They may suffer from fearfulness or continued deep sadness called depression. They may become dependent on illegal drugs. Some people also feel the need to continually repeat a(n) 59 . For example, they may repeatedly wash their hands although their hands are clean.
Anorexia is a serious eating. 60 . If it is not treated on time, it can be fatal.
51. A. specifically B. purposely C. particularly D. passionately
52. A. from B. of C. at D. in
53. A. kill B. starve C. abuse D. worsen
54. A. When B. While C. As D. Since
55. A. lost B. derived C. generated D. synthesized
56. A. what B. why C. how D. which
57. A, good B. high C. lower D. poor
58. A. represent B. make C. present D. exert
59. A. medication B. illusion C motion D. action
60. A. habit B. behavior C. disorder D. pattern
51. B 选项A. specifically特别地 B. purposely故意；C. particularly专门地；D. passionately 充满激情地。 选项B符合上下文意思，是正确答案。
52. D 此题为介词搭配问题：one in…case表示“几例中有一例”。选项D符合上下文意思，是正确答案。
53. A. 全句上下文的意思是：厌食症患者可能死于心衰，或者说，厌食症可以致死年轻女性。选项A. kill杀死；B. starve使饥饿；C，abuse虐待；D. worsen恶化。选项A符合上下文意思，是正确答案。
54. C 选择一个关系代词：C. As随着(疾病的进展)，符合上下文意思，是正确答案。
55. A 此处需要一个过去分词，表示“丢失”。选项A. lost符合上下文意思，是正确答案。其他选项：B. derived取得；C. generated生出：D. synthesized合成，均不符合上下文意思。
56. C 选择一个关系代词：选项C. how符合上下文意思，是正确答案。原句大意：有时大脑会变小，引起人的思维方式和行为方式的变化。
57. D “have good /high opinion of”表示“评价高或好”，而上下文的意思是“有厌食症的女性自我评价低”“have poor opinion of themselves”。可以说“low opinion of”，但是不用“lower”一词。选项D符合上下文。
58. A 虽然选项A. represent，B. make，C. present和D. exert都能单独与efforts单独搭配，但此句的主语是their efforts，只有“represent”才符合题意’她们想保持很瘦体形的尝试代表或说明了她们想掌控自己生活的努力。
59. D 选项久medication冥想；B. illusion幻觉：C. motion活动；D. action行动。根据下句话的例了“反复洗手”，选项D是正确答案。
60. C 根据全文大意：anorexia是一种。进食紊乱，即，“eating disorder”. 选项A. habit 习惯：B. behavior行为： C. disorder紊乱，障碍；D. pattern模式。选项C符合上下文，是正确答案。